Computer Use Agreement
As a user of a Public Access Computer Workstation, I understand that:
- I will use the computer workstation in a manner consistent with the purpose and mission of the Kenosha Public Library.
- I may encounter inaccurate, offensive, disturbing and/or illegal material on both filtered and unfiltered computer workstations.
- Viewing or printing pornographic or obscene images at the Library is inappropriate.
- Failing to use the computer workstations in conformance with Kenosha Public Library Policies, Procedures, and Rules of Conduct may result in revocation of computer workstation privileges.
- If I am under 18 years of age, I have received parental permission to use the Internet and I must use a filtered computer workstation at the Library.
- If I am 18 years of age or older, I have the option of using a filtered or unfiltered computer based on availability. I am responsible for the sites I visit.
- Disabling or circumventing the Internet filters when using a filtered workstation will cause me to lose my Internet privileges.
- I will pay $.15 per page for material I print from a Kenosha Public Library computer workstation.
- Software may not be downloaded on library computer workstations.
- I will not use chat or game websites on 15-minute Express computer workstations.
- I will use only my current library account number to log on to a sit-down computer workstation.
- Using someone else's card will result in a loss of computer access.
- I will log off the computer workstation when I am finished.
- I will log off a sit-down computer workstation 15 minutes before the library closes.
Free WiFi @ KPL
KPL offers free WiFi connections at Southwest, Northside, Simmons, and Uptown locations. There is no time limit for the free use of our WiFi connection.
- Set your laptop wireless adapter TCP/IP property settings in Control Panel to obtain an IP address automatically.
- Connect your wireless adapter to the Library’s wireless network. The network name (SSID) is “Kenosha Public Library”.
Computers @ the Library
Public Access Workstations (PAWS) at the library have the following software and capabilities:
- Searching the Catalog for books, CDs, DVDs, and more.
- Exploring our Electronic Resources for magazines and newspaper articles, car repair information, consumer guides, and much more.
- Accessing the Internet to check email, download files, or visit favorite websites.
- Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) for creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Printing - All of our computers have black & white printing capability. Most also have color printing available.
There are three main types of public computers at KPL:
- Express Computers: These computers have a 15 minute limit and do not require a library card to sign-in. All of these computers feature filtering software that prevents some sites from being visited.
- "Sit Down" Computers: These computers have a four-hour per day limit and require a valid library card and password to sign on. Guests may obtain a guest pass. All of these computers include filtering software.
- Laptop Computers: These computers can be checked out at the Checkout desk and have all of the same stipulations as the "Sit Down" computers.
All computers are available on a first-come, first serve basis. Staff cannot reserve computers for you.