STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) Programs:
- Build: Youth Services staff will present a program that challenges students to design and build using STEAM concepts. 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Create: Youth Services staff will present a program that challenges students to create artwork using STEAM concepts. 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Do: Youth Services staff will present a program with hands-on activities centered around a topic of your choice. 45 minutes - 1 hour.
Digital Technology/Coding Programs:
Youth Services staff can bring devices (up to 24) or can run programs on school devices.
Hour of Code: This is the best program for a one-time session of coding.
1 hour choices include:
- Basic Hour of Code (code.org) - covers multiple concepts using a maze program
- Infinity Play Lab (code.org) - create a story or interactive game using Disney Infinity characters
- Frozen Artist (code.org) - use code to make Frozen characters draw different shapes and patterns
- Flappy Code (code.org) - use code to create a Flappy Bird game
- Coding Apps - learn to code using games or make games with the Tynker (elementary school) or Hopscotch (middle school) apps
Code Studio: This program works best as a multiple session program, since it covers coding concepts in more depth with each session focused on mastering one concept. It includes unplugged activities (activities that do not use digital devices) that tie in with the online component. Courses in this program can be adapted to anywhere from 3 to 8 sessions. Concepts covered can include algorithms & sequence, loops, debugging, conditionals, events, functions, nested & while loops, and patterns. 1 hour per session.
Digital Storytelling: Using the Toontastic and Sock Puppets apps, students create their own story on a digital device, setting up their story, building a conflict, and developing a resolution. 45 minutes-1 hour.
Library Skills and Tour Programs:
Library Tour at any Kenosha Public Library location:
- K-2: Youth Services staff will present a storytime in addition to a tour. 45 minutes.
- Grades 3+: Youth Services staff will present a STEAM, digital technology, literacy, or library skills program of your choice in addition to a tour. 1 hour.
- Simmons History Tour: Youth Services staff will present a tour at Simmons Library highlighting its history and architecture. 1 hour.
- Research and Online Resources: Youth Services staff will provide instruction on using library resources to conduct research. This program can be tailored to a specific assignment or projects that your class is working on. 30-45 minutes.
Books & Literacy Programs:
- Booktalks: Youth Services staff will share & talk about a selection of new titles or books from a specific genre or topic of your choice. 15-30 minutes.
- First Grade Day: Youth Services staff will present a storytime with activities specially designed for first graders. 1 hour.