It’s officially summer, which is the perfect time to make this veggie heavy dish. Learn how to prepare, roast and stuff different summer vegetables with a protein rich salad.
- 1 medium saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Assortment of bowls for ingredients
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
Ingredients & Instructions
- 1 bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeded, leaving stems intact.
- 1 bell pepper, roasted with skin removed.
- 1 zucchini, halved and seeded.
- 1 summer squash, halved and seeded.
- 2 roma tomatoes, roasted (substitutes: any other tomatoes fresh or sundried)
- 1 onion, sliced and roasted
- 1-5 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (substitutes: rice, barley, couscous, spelt, lentils.)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 Tbsp oregano, fresh or dried
- 1 Tbsp basil, fresh, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Goat cheese, feta cheese, cotija cheese or any other crumbly cheese you enjoy. If you prefer melty cheese, try fresh mozzarella!
Other optional add-ins: protein of your choice; ground beef, turkey or chicken, tofu or garbanzo beans all work well in this dish.
- Preheat your oven to 450℉, wash and dry all produce.
- Toss bell pepper and tomatoes with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, place in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes.
- Cut and prepare all ingredients.
- Coat bell pepper, zucchini, and summer squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes or until just tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, start your quinoa water, add the quinoa once boiling.
- When quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and add all your herbs and spices, adjust seasonings to taste. Add cheese at this stage if you choose.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Peel your roasted pepper and roughly chop, add tomatoes and roasted peppers to quinoa.
- With a spoon, stuff your prepared quinoa into your vegetable vessels, cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add garnish of fresh herbs and serve! This quinoa salad is also great cold or just by itself.