It is contrary to the policy of the Kenosha Public Library Board of Trustees to hire relatives in a supervisory relationship.
- Definition: For the purposes of this Policy, the term relative shall mean any member of the immediate household, or anyone whose relationship by blood or marriage is as close or closer than first cousin, i.e. parent, child, brother, sister, spouse, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandparent, grandchild, first cousin, and step, and in-law relationships.
- Hiring, Transfer, and Promotion: No person may be hired, transferred or promoted into a position of employment with the Kenosha Public Library where he or she will supervise or be supervised by a relative.
- Employees in a Supervisory Relationship who Later Become Relatives: When employees of the Kenosha Public Library who are in a supervisory relationship later become relatives, they shall become subject to the Alternative Performance Appraisal Process in Paragraph 4 of this Policy.
- Alternative Performance Appraisal Process: The Library Director shall directly supervise the performance appraisal process in circumstances where a relative conducts the performance appraisal of a relative and shall certify that:
- all appropriate procedures have been followed,
- the appraisal was conducted objectively, and
- the appraisal is valid. This certification shall be in writing to the employee, supervisor, and personnel file. In such circumstances involving the Library Director, the City’s Director of Personnel shall perform this function and shall certify the above in writing to the employee, supervisor, Library Board President, and personnel file.