LIBRARY CREDIT CARD POLICY
The Board of Trustees of the Kenosha Public Library adopts and makes public the following written policies.
KPL issues credit cards to select staff members to facilitate business travel, incidental and online purchases. KPL issued credit cards act as purchasing cards, earning KPL rebates. In order to maximize rebates, certain recurring payments such as utility bills, as well as payments for collection materials, may be paid with KPL credit cards as authorized by library administration. Upon receipt of original itemized documentation, credit card expenditures will be paid by check through Administration.
All purchases must be supported by sales invoices/receipts which are to be coded and promptly turned in to the Accounting Assistant for balancing to the credit card statement. Purchases from Wisconsin vendors should be made on a tax-exempt basis. Obtain a Tax Exempt Certificate from the Accounting Assistant as needed. Sales tax paid to Wisconsin vendors will not be reimbursed.
AUTHORIZED USERS AND LIMITS
The library employees authorized to use the library credit card are as follows:
Division Head for Public Services $2,500
Maintenance Superintendent $15,000
Head of Administrative Services $2,500
Head of Adult & Digital Services $2,500
Head of Youth & Family Services $2,500
Division Head for Support Services $35,000
Network Administrator (1) $2,000
Outreach Coordinator $2,000
Communication Specialist $1,000
● In order to establish and maintain a proper system of checks and balances, purchasing activities will not be conducted by the Accounting Assistant.
● Only authorized staff members may conduct purchasing transactions. Cardholders are responsible for all activity on their account that results from delegating purchases to other KPL staff.
● Prior to the initial receipt of any credit card, each individual must agree to and sign the Agreement for Use of Bank Credit Card.
● All credit cards are Kenosha Public Library property. Authorized users will take the necessary precautions to ensure the card’s safekeeping.
● No personal use of the card is allowed even if the user intended to, or actually did, reimburse the library for such use.
● Cash advances for any reason are prohibited.
● Purchases may not exceed individual credit limits.
● If the credit card is lost or stolen, the authorized user must notify the bank and the Library Director immediately.
● Should an individual with a credit card leave their library position, the credit card is to be returned immediately to the Library Director or Head of Administrative Services for destruction. A new card will be ordered for the individual taking his/her place.
● Proper documentation to support the expenditure must be sent to the Business Office prior to the receipt of the monthly statement. Proper documentation is to include:
o Original itemized paid receipt indicating the amount paid, the vendor, and the itemized description of the purchase.
o In the case of books, subscriptions or similar types of orders, a copy of the order form or document, and packing slip, or other receiving document must be attached when requesting payment.
● A hard copy printout of the items ordered online.
Examples of documentation not allowed:
o Non-itemized cash register receipts.
o Handwritten requests for reimbursement without receipts or other verification.
Payment of the monthly statement must be made in a timely fashion so that finance charges are not incurred. Timely payment requires staff incurring the charges properly complete transactional paperwork related to the Library’s accounting functions.
Agreement for Use of Bank Credit Card
This card is issued to you on a temporary basis and remains the sole property of the bank from which it was issued. The right to use this card may be revoked at any time without warning by the issuing bank authority or by the Kenosha Public Library.
By accepting this card it is understood that you are personally responsible for any unauthorized or inappropriate use of the purchasing card.
I have read and fully understand and accept my personal responsibilities and liabilities involving the use of the bank credit card issued to me. I further understand that any inappropriate use of the card may result in disciplinary action and possible garnishment of my wages.
Card Issued: Number:
Card Holder Signature: _______________________________ Date: ________________
Signature of Witness: ________________________________ Date: _________________