I. PURPOSE The purpose of this policy is to establish Kenosha Public Library’s (KPL) procedure for filing, processing and resolving a formal or informal complaint filed by any citizen with regard to any KPL employee, department, service or other concern/request.
II. POLICY It is Kenosha Public Library’s policy to accept, investigate and attempt to resolve all complaints received. In the event an issue cannot be resolved, the complainant shall be notified by the appropriate KPL personnel as to why resolution cannot occur and what decision has been made regarding the complaint.
III. PROCEDURES The following procedures shall be followed by all Kenosha Public Library employees upon receipt of a citizen/patron complaint.
1. If the complaint cannot be resolved in person by the employee and/or the Person In Charge, the complainant should be encouraged to file his or her complaint in person by completing the Citizen Complaint Form (Appendix A), including the complainant’s signature.
2. If a complaint is received verbally, over the telephone or in any other form (e.g., mail, email), the Citizen Complaint Form should be completed by the employee receiving the complaint, with the following information:
a. Date complaint was received.
b. (Referral): The department that will address the concern.
c. (Referred by): The name of the person who received the complaint.
d. Name of complainant.
e. Address of complainant.
f. Telephone/e-mail of complainant.
g. Nature of complaint, concern or request, providing as much detail as possible to assist the department that will work to resolve the issue.
3. The complaint should be given or forwarded to the Customer Experience Manager for logging. A copy of the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for resolution.
4. A letter will be sent to the complainant by the Customer Experience Manager to confirm receipt of the complaint and identify which department will be working with the complainant to resolve their concern.
5. The involved department should investigate or review the identified concern and take appropriate action.
6. The employee who resolves the concern should indicate the resolution on the Citizen Complaint Form, and obtain approval and signature from the Customer Experience Manager.
7. A follow-up letter or telephone call should be made to the complainant, informing them of the action that was taken regarding their request or concern.
8. A copy of the letter, if applicable, and completed Citizen Complaint Form should be returned to the Customer Experience Manager for filing.
9. Citizen Complaint Forms will be kept on file for 3 years.